Thursday, 20 February 2014

Paper piecing and colouring with Craft Artist Professional 2.

Good morning everyone,

Hope you're all well. Been doing something a little different this past few days. About a month ago a free digi stamp was posted on the 'Serif CraftArtist Creative Cappers' Facebook page, with the challenge to have a go at colouring or paper piecing.

Although I consider myself to be quite adept when using CAP2, this was something I'd not attempted. I guess I was the old fashioned, print it or stamp it, then colour it with whichever medium type. Any way, I decided to have a bash and here are the results. This is the naked digi, so to speak. 

Now I love a challenge and colouring OR paper piecing was an even bigger challenge to me. I decided to have a go at both. There are some excellent tutorials on the Creative Cappers group page, written by Catherine Carney. They are easy to follow and accessible if you are a group member. It's an excellent group guys', very supportive, why not pop along and have a look. The link is further up.

Here's the finished image. I'm very proud of this, I used gradient effects and shading to make it look more hand coloured. The shawl and patch are paper pieced. Again, all the instruction, by way of a simple, easy to follow tutorial, are on the group page.

I made the digi into a flat, digital card to celebrate Mothers' Day and here it is. Da Da. Can you tell I'm a bit chuffed.

Now, I enjoyed doing the colouring and paper piecing and shall definitely have another go. I also like making the finished card all within CAP2. I do this often. What I do miss sometimes though, is the actual playing with paper and glue. Don't ya just love it, sticky fingers and mess. I digress.

I decided to break the file down and print off the individual elements, to assemble into a card. I wondered if it would be as effective. Here it is, what do you think?

There were a few things I altered slightly. I decoupaged the bear, to give some dimension. The flower didn't work either, it was too fiddly to cut out and much too flat. Also, the fabric buttons. I used card candy in their place. I used a Spellbinder to cut the sentiment out and added some raffia to the spine to finish off, but I did put the faux stitching around the edges.

I enjoyed this project, I just need to upload it onto the group page now. Now there is a warning I'd like to issue before I go. I found this project to be highly ADDICTIVE. So unless you have loads of time to spare, every day, every week, every month, until you stop crafting........ Don't Do It!!!! Just kidding, but don't say you weren't warned. :)    

I am entering this card into the following challenges -:

Papertake Weekly Challenge - Lovely layers.
Craft-room Challenge - Colour challenge.

Thanks for coming by and reading my ramblings and do come again.


Jools.  xxxx


  1. Well done Jules, this looks fabulous.
    Caz x

  2. Lovely card with cute image.
    Thank you for sharing at Craft-Room Challenge, good luck;-))m

  3. This is fab Jools...well done for try not one but 2 new techniques. I've not see either of these before and love the way they look. Thanks so much for joining in our Flowers Galore challenge at LCI this fortnight